Image Credits:
Various
Zambia's Levy Mwanawasa stadium is almost ready to host a World Cup qualifier match in November, after the government spent nearly K3 million renovating the country's second-biggest sports stadium. The Confederation of African Football (CAF) had barred Zambia from using its two biggest venues, Heroes Stadium in Lusaka and Levy Mwanawasa Stadium on the Copperbelt, due to the poor state of the facilities. However, Zambia will now be able to host Congo Brazzaville on November 15 in the World Cup qualifiers. Kangwa Chileshe, the Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Sports, told Zambia Daily Mail that the works at Levy Mwanawasa stadium are nearing completion and that the turf at the venue is in good condition to host international matches. The renovation works at Levy Mwanawasa stadium included the dressing rooms and a new shelter for the technical area. "The works at Levy are almost complete. We have worked on the dressing rooms and we will have a new shelter for the technical area. We have so far spent K3 million," said Chileshe. Zambia is aiming to qualify for the World Cup at the senior level for the first time, and they will need to fend off competition from Morocco, Congo Brazzaville, Tanzania, Niger, and Eritrea in Group E. The Chipolopolo boys will travel to Niger for their second World Cup qualifier match a few days after hosting Congo Brazzaville.
Related Stories
Start a conversation